Sunday, November 16, 2008

Read & Ring

If you're not prepared to embrace that I am still a full-on band geek, read no further.

Remember how I told you about the Raleigh Ringers last December, when we went to their Christmas concert and it was amazing? Well, since then I have become sort of a groupie. Listening to their CD's (yes I own all of them), watching their tour schedule online, preparing to order my early-bird tickets for their Christmas concert again, etc.

So when they offered the opportunity for community members to come ring with them one after noon, I jumped on it. They called it an event for "advanced ringers." Now I will say that I am not a ringing dunce... I can sightread better than most, and quick bell changes don't intimidate me. But I can officially tell you, after spending the afternoon with RR, that I am officially not an "advanced" ringer. Who knows, maybe other people messed up as much as I did. Maybe other people were lost as much as I was. But honestly I only got about 75% of the notes that flew by. I think if we had rung anything through even a second time, I would have nailed some of those parts. But for a read-only event.... yeah I'm pretty much intermediate. :)

That being said, no one cared that we didn't play perfectly, and there were times the whole group was totally lost too, and I learned a lot. And at the end of the day, I have had a great toddler-free afternoon, doing something I really enjoy, with other dorks/groupies that I could totally relate to. And I learned that I'm fine putting my (not-so-) secret dream of being a Raleigh Ringer on hold for another year or two.

1 comment:

EMU said...

How fun! My students are preparing a hand bells piece for our Christmas show, and hearing their sweet, angelic music almost makes me cry. There is just something about hand bells...especially at Christmas time! :)