Thursday, November 6, 2008

Red, Blue, Purple... Whatever

I saw today on NPR's website that after being "too close to call" for almost 48 hours, North Carolina has officially put our electoral votes toward Sen. Barack Obama.

So after more than three decades of being a red state, we are officially blue.


But wait! On the NPR site, when you click on NC, it takes you to this site which says we went 50% and 50% for McCain and Obama. That's as close as you can get, people! So why are we blue then?

Maybe our electoral votes go to Obama since he's already been declared President-Elect? Nope, apparently someone from the Associated Press has hunted down every county's election board and determined that there are not enough outstanding ballots to make up the votes McCain would need to pass Obama here (that's 13,693 for those of you counting at home). Less than a percentage point. Amazing.

Wake (and Mecklenburg) counties are pretty blue, though.I really thought the election would be over by Tuesday. HA!! Funny how we're all still thinking and talking (and blogging) about it. I'm ready to move on already, and I promise that after I hit "publish post" I am going to chalk up my losses, get on board with all the newly elected politicians, and hope they can help us regroup, as a nation. I also promise to smack the next person who says "yes we can" to me. Seriously. Don't test me.

I really do love North Carolina, indecisive as we are.

7 comments:

Ryan D. said...

I was going to comment, but then I decided I didn't want to be smacked.

I totally agree, though... I'm soooo glad this is all over.

Anonymous said...

It's ok Reeva, I'll do it...

YES! WE! CAN!

:-)
Just kidding, I'm not "that" guy, I just said it because you told me not to. Love you!

Neil said...

More importantly, I hope the newly elected politicians do enough to EARN your (and my) respect. No matter who won, or how many people voted for them, their real job starts now. This election will lose a lot of its significance and meaning in my book if Obama can't live up to his potential as a leader. Here's to being hopeful.

Anonymous said...

hahah erin i promise i won't see "yes we can" because technically we haven't "yes we did" yet. i wish obama my luck though. i still am strongly opinionated for a 13 year old so if anyone is really up for a political debate.. i can't because i'll get arrested. haha oops! too late. hahah

Erin G said...

I LOVE that you are opinionated, mary, don't discount your opinion just because you're 13. you're smart and insightful and you're really good about listening to ALL sides of the debate, even when you disagree. I know grownups less mature than you! :)

plus, I was opinionated at 13, too, so I can't fault anyone else for it.

plus, you put an exclamation point in your name. which makes me love you even more.

Anonymous said...

North Carolina sounds as indecisive as Minnesota. Have you heard about our Senate race between Al Franken and Norm Coleman? It's so close that a state-mandated automatic re-count has to occur. We won't know who won until December, probably, so it's not over for us yet.

Minnesotans habitually cancel ourselves out in Senate races by voting in both a conservative and a liberal.

Erin G said...

I did hear about that, mary. I think the same thing (vote-counting for a month after a race was so close, state-mandated recounts, court hearings) happened last election for us, with agriculture commissioner. typical nc.

I actually think it's better when states have representation for both parties.