Thursday, December 11, 2008

How to Text Like a Seventh Grader

Have you ever noticed how fast middle schoolers can text? Seriously. They can text faster than I can type. (And considering I went to college in the prime years of AIM, I can type pretty quickly.)

Well, my sister changed my texting life a few weeks ago, and since it's her birthday today, I thought I would honor her by sharing this with all of you.

I will preface this by saying you probably all knew about this already, and I'm a terrible old fogey, and you will enjoy a good laugh at my out-of-touchness. Y'all, even my dad texts this way. Yes, my dad can text like a seventh grader. Which just makes me all the more grateful for Ashley being 13 months younger (and a whole generation closer to today's adolescents) than I am, so she can teach me these things.

So there's this thing called T9. It apparently means text on 9 keys. Basically, when you choose this option in your cell phone (I promise, your cell phone has it) instead of the normal ABC or abc or Abc that old fogeys use, you can type each number only once per letter (instead of scrolling through each number to find the right character) and your phone will recognize what you're trying to type. Apparently there are only so many logical words that can come out of typing each number combination. And if it gets it wrong (don't will always come out foot the first time, as Ashley proved), just hit zero ("next") until it suggests the word you want.

(Please don't ask me how to type zero in T9. I haven't figured that out yet. If you know, leave me a comment and I will be forever grateful.)

It's a little annoying at first, but it's so much faster once you get used to it. I feel like I can officially welcome myself to the year 2005 now that I have figured this out. Since Mark just got us a bigger text plan for our phones (250/month, not unlimited like I originally thought... oops), I plan to make much use of my T9 option.

Happy Birthday Ashley!! Your bloggity present is this fabulous bag (electronic, of course, since that's how our family does it) of extra crispy (remember?) tater tots. Enjoy!

10 comments:

merritt said...

Texting is way fun. But I find it impossible to allow myself to use improper grammar and abbreviations like " u" for "you".

Anonymous said...

thanks for the birthday wishes... and for the extra crispy tots (with honey mustard)! I tend to switch back and forth between the old style of texting (how is there already an old style of texting??) and the t9 thing. I kind of got tired of writing "foot." Glad you're enjoying it! Oh, and if you just hold down the key when you're trying to write a number, it will enter the number instead of a letter. So just hold down the 0 key and the number will pop up. You can do the same for any other number. I love you and I can't wait to see you on Christmas eve!

Love,
Ashley who is closer and closer to 30!!!

PS I bought a car for myself for the big 2-7. Toyota Matrix. Took 5 hours. Did I shave my legs for this?!

Erin G said...

you bought a car?? awesome! when do nathan and I get to ride in it? christmas eve? me, you, nathan and rita will go on a joy ride! :)

and hey I will always be closer to 30 than you are. until we're 31 and 32. either way, you win. :)

Erin G said...

also, I just had to google toyota matrix since I had no idea what that looked like. it's pretty! what color did you get?

are you pointing out the 5-hour thing because it seemed like forever, or seemed fast? I have never bought a car when it didn't take ALL DAY. so kudos on the 5-hour thing.

Erin G said...

oh! and merrit, the t9 thing encourages proper words (it;'s harder to type a NON word than a real one), and I agree with you! I cringe when I get texts (usually from my dad) that say U and 2 and whatever. Ick.

Anonymous said...

My solution is I DON'T TEXT.

Donna said...

I had no idea. I'm going to run straight to my cell phone and try it out. Oh, and by the way, thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting last week - that's how I found you.

Erin G said...

and thanks for visiting ME, donna! :)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

We use texting a TON in India... people don't call as much b/c it's cheaper to text...BUT I get lots of texting spam... LOTS - like 20 or so a day... and then you get SMS (texting) forwards... yeah...

Erin G said...

texting SPAM??? what a pain!!