Thursday, December 10, 2009

End of a Comforter Era

Our newlywed comforter is gone. The first bedding we picked out together. We hunted it down at Bed Bath & Beyond seven years ago, debated about whether it was too girly or not (conensus = not), bleeped the little wedding registry scanner, and a few months later we unwrapped it and put it on our bed. Which, at that time, was two twin beds held together with rope. No I am not kidding. (We were very rich and very classy in those days, can you tell? HA.) But I was happy with our pretty comforter just the same. :)

We have had two housing upgrades and one very much needed bed upgrade, but the comforter lived through all of that. Until the last few months when it really started falling apart. And when, apparently, it dawned on Mark that it might be a little too girly after all.

So now we have a new comforter. We wanted something quilty instead of a traditional one this time, and we're both happy with it. It's not girly, and it looks nice in our room (I think so anyway). But it's still sort of sad to say good-bye to the other one. Maybe I should have let go of this notion a while ago (I mean, it's been almost seven years!) but I think this means we are officially no longer newlyweds. :(

6 comments:

Kelley C said...

I have to say your new comforter/quilt does look very grown up. We're still going strong with ours that we got exactly one week after you but it did live in storage for 2 years so that time prob doesn't count. The end of an era.

ashley said...

Erin, you weren't newlyweds even when you first got married... considering how long you dated! :)

I like the new grown-up comforter, and it really does go well in the room!

marmie said...

Did you save the old one? Or a piece of the old one, you know, for when you commission Megan to make the next "memory quilt?"

Kendra said...

It is kind of sad to get rid of wedding gifts huh? Earlier this year I cut some of our cloth napkins in half to use as hankerchiefs on bike rides. My husband pointed out later they were a wedding gift. hehe. We just got rid of another one a few days ago but I can't even remember what it was now so ... oh well!

Your room looks great though!

Neil said...

I have to say, that room is amazingly clean for a family dealing with an infant. Is all the mess pushed up behind the camera? That would've been my strategy.

Erin G said...

mom - nope, the whole thing went in the dumpster, didn't even save it for simon. He's most of the reason it was done for anyway.

kendra - nope, I never have qualms about getting rid of stuff I don't need. About a week after our wedding, I exchanged a gorgeous (and useless) crystal water pitcher for a watch that I still wear every day. I can only assume my college band director would rather me have had something that I could USE. :)

neil - nope, the infant has moved out, and we didn't clean specifically for a photo shoot. but I did take advantage of the room being clean to take the pic THEN as opposed to another time. :) and yes there is a whole mess of christmas presents and boxes stacked up that you can't see here.