Thursday, September 16, 2010

Preschool Homework 2, Erin 0

Guess what.  I got to do preschool homework again this year. 

Guess what else.  It was the same assignment I did last year.  And if you'll recall, I wasn't too thrilled about it then.

I said that if we got assigned the same project this year, I would just let Nathan color whatever he wanted on the paper and turn it in (I still stand by my statement that any age-appropriate assignment for a kid is one he can do by himself, or with extremely minimal supervision -- not me doing it for him).  But I was a good sport and I didn't do that.  Here's the proof:
Yes, I made another collage all about Nathan.  With nary a complaint. (There are only one or two people that might argue that, and neither one is much for commenting, so... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I don't care this year that it's not A+ work.  It's a marginal B at best, plus I'm turning it in late (not because I did it late, I just forgot it yesterday... I promise*).  But you know what?  It's good enough. 

And you know what else?  My favorite parts are the spaces where Nathan took a crayon to it (after I took this picture, obvs).  Well done, kiddo.  Well done.

*Not a sarcastic comment.  Really!

3 comments:

Sarah D. said...

Oh, Erin... Give the preschool teacher a break. The only mistake she/he made is that she/he called it "Nathan's homework." When I taught preschool, I openly called the "All About Me" page PARENT HOMEWORK. I don't know what the teacher plans to do with it, but I always made it into a class book and the kids LOVED it. That was one of the best ways for them to begin to recognize the names of the other kids in the class (great way to start them off with letter recognition). I stand by this homework activity.

P.S. Don't be so hard on yourself (re: B work). The teacher is ecstatic that you DID the collage. There are always loser parents who don't do it, and parents who WAY over do it (so many pictures you can't figure out who is in them). You did great. Stop complaining. =)

Erin G said...

I know, I know... I'm not holding it against his teacher, since apparently this is a universally assigned project for all preschoolers since the dawn of preschool. I said I was a good sport about it! :)

You're right, if they could just call a spade a spade and admit that this is something they need the PARENTS to do (and then give us a more appropriate amount of time to get it done), i'd feel a whole lot better about it. And your comments about how it might help the kids do make me feel better about it, actually.

Regardless, I don't love being forced into arts and crafts (not my kind of thing, even when I was a kid), especially on such short notice. But I promise, I'm not holding it against his teacher. And if it's just part of preschool life, then fine, I'm game. It's totally worth it. But I don't promise not to roll my eyes every year while doing it. :)

Emily said...

Hazel's preschool did not assign this, and I'm super sad about that. Is that weird?