One of the things I'm supposed to be doing when I have a barrage of negative thoughts is a cognitive exercise where I replace the bad ones with positive ones. Cheesy but it actually kinda works. And since the last few days have been uncharacteristically (for the recent past) hard, I figured it's time for another good old fashioned Happy Things* list. Here are five more things to be happy about.
Things Going Right in My Life This Week:
1.) The gym. It's been six months and I still love it. I think my weight loss has pretty much tapered off, so I might need to start doing it for fitness instead of happiness, but for now I don't feel like getting it up for fitness. So I go to my weightlifting class twice a week where I now feel confident and strong and somewhat like I know what I'm doing. And most other days I go and run on the elliptical or stairclimber or some such machine where I can log my time and my miles while reading twitter. And wearing cute gym shoes. While the kids play happily under gym nanny supervision. Sometimes for an extra few minutes so I can do some weight machines too. It's a good gym life.
2.) My bestest friend. After a weird and fighty weekend, Another Nathan and I are back on. (Yes, we fight. Yes we're almost *ahem* thirty, which is far too old to fight with your friends, but we fight like siblings. We've made peace with it; you should too.) And in the midst of some (totally unrelated) (and kind of related) hard spells over the last few days, I'm reminded that with the tumult comes strength and safety and confidence, to have a best friend who loves your husband and your kids and your life and your Crazy and your soul. And who's a damn good Wednesday coffee date.
![]() |
| for those who say I never post pics of myself |
3.) I dyed some green pants. This seems random. But I had been craving green pants, and couldn't find a non-capri, non-jegging variety (jeggings do not make hott Erin) that fit well at a normal price anywhere, but then I noticed OH HEY white pants are apparently in (please don't ask me to jump on that bandwagon), they're everywhere and in plentiful variety, so I will just buy some of those and then dye them. And apparently pinterest has made me wildly confident because I did. And they are cute.
![]() |
| No full-length mirrors = standing on the potty. |
4.) Youth choir. It started as an extra adult on hand for a Harry Potter movie outing, and turned into my legitimate advisor-capacity involvement. It's a fun and lively group of high school girls, growing in numbers and in confidence. I look forward to hanging out with them on Sunday afternoons maybe more than I should as a real grownup, but y'all, they are fun! They're full of stories of proms and new nail polish and shoes and summer jobs and college visits, and also faith issues like what's happening in our presbytery, and talking through texts of songs we're working on. Talking and tweeting with these girls is connecting me to church in a new cool way and I love it. I remember how important my youth choir advisors were to me at that age, and the idea of a generation cycling forward resonates with me. Plus, new friends are always awesome; teenagers are extra so.
5.) Delurkers. In the last week, I've had some people making blog comments who rarely do. Yay! And by people I mean mostly MARK. You know, my dearly beloved who reads every word of every post before anyone else, yet never posts any witty commentary, has commented! Let's harness this energy into a delurking week ahead! Y'all know you want to give me more fodder for my happy lists. Delurk already! If nothing else, tell me something that makes you happy and I'll feed off your delurky gladness too. Don't make me call you out #NathanReneeElizabethRyanMelissaAdellBradJennyDavid and others. DO IT.
Okay, hard days are officially behind me and I feel better. Positive thoughts... check.
Now lurkers, delurk!
That is all.
*Sarah, Katie, Kelley, Merritt - I know you're reading this. Praise me.


15 comments:
Love it! Keep chugging along! :)
Good for you for being so happy!! I'm so proud. :)
Also, I like the jeans. And my friend Laura just this week convinced me I looked really should wear white jeans. And it turns out it's pretty fun.
For the record, I enjoy being your loyal internet lurker. It makes ne feel connected to you even though we are so far apart. We live at least 7 hours from each other now, it helps.
We should have a phone date soon. Or Skype or both.
Miss you, your babies, and your sweet husband.
Love, Jenny
My happy thing: I went to see The Sound of Music with Eric today in Augusta. It's true - Augusta is NOT a super huge city with a wide range of talent, but it was FUN. I know The Sound of Music makes you and me happy... It makes me happiest that The Sound of Music also makes my husband happy. =)
After much deliberation, I have decided to delurk. I am Mary's daughter (from The Woo Woo Teacup Journal) and I've been reading your blog since, wait for it....before Nathan was born. Big time lurking going on, I know. Something that makes me happy: reading your hilarious blog posts! You always have something witty to say. I also enjoy posts like your letter to your 20-year-old self because, yeah, that wisdom realllly pertains to me right now. Now I have going to go find some white pants to dye myself because yours are definitely fabulous; new and fabulous pants are a great cause for happiness!
-Olivia
Oy, sorry for the horrendous grammar, I meant I am going to have to find some white pants to dye.
-Olivia
I like your happy thoughts too. It's a good reminder to me to focus on the things that are RIGHT instead of on the things that are wrong. Hope potty training continues to go well!
I'm SO impressed with your green pants.
1. I saw a book in the airport bookstore called something like I Swim So I Can Cry in the Pool. I immediately thought of you.
3. Standing on the toilet to see in the mirror FOR THE WIN!!! We all do stuff like that. You my friend, are fun enough to post evidence on the Internetz.
4. I heart youth girls!
5. WHOA! Check out Olivia delurking after 5 years!
AND I forgot to say what makes me happy...
Mark's comment on the post below!!!
Olivia (and Melissa!) I am SO glad you delurked! Totally made my day.
And emu I hope you got the exact name of that book or the author or maybe took a pic of it because I WILL NEED TO READ IT.
Aw yay for youth choir! We love hanging out with you too :)
And on another note, I just love your blog--you are seriously such a great writer/mommy blogger.
Instructions on dying pants please :)
1- buy pants. 2- buy cotton fabric dye in your color choice at craft store (or hell, wal-mart). 3- follow instructions on packet.
(I did it twice. The first time involved stirring in a huge stock pot, the second time to darken more was a different brand and involved soaking in the wash - I just left the lid open - and both were super easy. And required salt. Weird?)
WHOA delurking indeed! 14 comments. :) I just wanted to say I love hanging out with youth kids too (helps that it's my hubs' job) and that your green pants are ADORBS. As the youth would say.
Post a Comment