Thursday, January 28, 2010

Beanie: One Year Later

It was one year ago today that I peed on a stick and cried. One year ago today that I stared dumbfounded at my midsection and wondered how there could already be another baby in there when I was still carrying around that fat roll (or two) from the first one. One year ago today that Mark hugged me, grinned even though I was sobbing (and I am not a pretty cryer, people... picture a red face and copious amounts of snot and tears), and told me he was happy, and even excited, to have another baby.

It was one year ago today that he rubbed my round-but-not-from-the-pregnancy-yet belly and said, "Hi Beanie, it's Daddy," and in doing so, unknowingly christened our daughter with her in-utero name.

It would be weeks before I told people about the pregnancy, and months before I truly embraced the fact that I was going to be a mother of two, and almost a year before I felt ready to be a mother of two. (Because that feeling might have come only like ten minutes or so ago.)

I asked Nathan this week, "where's Beanie?" and he just stared at me blankly and repeated the question. He doesn't even remember Beanie. I don't know why that makes me sad, exactly, but it does. Maybe because although it was a hard mental transition for me, it was also the start of Anneliese's life, so I don't want any of us to forget about her Beanie days.

It's painful for me to remember how I felt a year ago today, but at the same time I don't want to rose-tint the memory. That is how I felt, and I don't want to lie about it, even to myself, in my own memories. But part of the reason it's so painful is that I was so, so, so dumb and so, so, so selfish to not be excited for the beautiful life growing inside me, the life that would turn into my beautiful daughter. My daughter. My sweet little Anneliese.

Now I definitely want her. I want her with me pretty much all the time, actually. I love her. I'm really glad God knew what I wanted better than I did. And I feel pretty foolish for not bursting into a big joyful laugh when I peed on that stick last year, because that's how I feel about my Beanie now. I can't imagine life without her, nor do I want to.

9 comments:

Kelley C said...

What a difference a year makes. I love your honesty.

Neil said...

So, serious question, can we still call her beanie?

Erin G said...

absolutely :)

FREE FONTS said...

hi there! warm greeting 0_0

you can download various fonts in our website

ashley said...

wow, free fonts. that was extremely relevant and not at all annoying. i think i'll go download some fonts. "THANKS FREE FONTS!" cheesy grin.

I heart anneliese. I do not heart annoying web ads.

Erin said...

I'm so glad to hear your story. To be honest, I have been afraid more than once that I would have the same moment you had a year ago. It hasn't happened yet, but your story reminds me that not only can we handle anything, God gives us gifts we don't even understand! Your daughter is so beautiful... congratulations!

merritt said...

Isn't it great to know that God knows us better than we know ourselves? That's truly amazing, but true. We'd all miss out on so many blessings if we did everything our way. I'm glad God gave you Anneliese. She's precious.

Erin G said...

ok ashley I was totally going to delete that spammy comment but then I saw your reply and it made me laugh, so I'm letting free fonts hang out here on this post after all.

marmie said...

I love my little Beanie. Thank you, God, for Erin and Mark's surprise!