Still he manages to make mischief when he's in his room, "sleeping."
At least once a week, he dumps the entire contents of his dresser (yes, every drawer) into his hamper. Well, we think he first dumps it onto the floor and plays with it and then puts it in the hamper. We're basing this on the fact that when one of us gets out of bed (which we finally do when we hear him talking about the big mess -- those are the magic words) and walks around upstairs, he starts singing the clean up, clean up song. Apparently he doesn't understand that if it starts in the dresser and ends in the hamper, we can still tell he's been into it.
After he goes down for nap or bedtime, he waits for us to close the door and then promptly gets out of bed to look out the window. In my opinion, there's not much to see, but if you're Nathan, there is a fascinating world of things that go to stare at. Which mostly consists of our neighbors' cars and truck. But keeping us abreast of our neighbors' comings and goings is an integral part of Nathan's duties to our family, apparently.
Anyway we hear him talking about Drew's truck or Amy's car and then we know he's not in bed anymore. But if he hears us walking to his room, he races back into bed and puts his thumb in his mouth and plays possum. Did you know a 2-year-old can do that??? He's tricky, I tell you.
If we do manage to catch him still standing by the window, the guilty look on his face is hilarious, and we always crack up (after reprimanding him and putting him back in bed, of course). He's gotten so good at hearing us coming towards his room that now we sometimes have to go outside his window to catch him in the act. We just point a finger and stare sternly and he'll get back in bed. (I took this one picture during naptime before reprimanding him, since I actually find it funny even though I don't want him to know that.)
Nathan's Santa present this year was a secondhand armchair for his room, mostly so we can have a place to sit and read with him (or where he can sit and read by himself). But I think it's just given him a more comfy spot to spend time gazing out the window. :)
And either way, it's sweet enough to remind me that it's worth cleaning and re-sorting clean clothes from dirty in his hamper most mornings, if it means he has the freedom and independence to let the creative juices flow. But I'm still not giving up the baby monitor. :)
4 comments:
Awww! So cute! I love little Nathan. And I still haven't met him!
I love that you go outside and catch him in the act. Too funny!
I like this kid more and more every post.
But no peanut butter and cherrio mix all over the room.........yet. Maybe Simon and Bowden will clean it up a bit better than Sandy did.
Post a Comment