Friday, January 22, 2010

Her Bum's a Genius!

Oh, come on. You knew with this cloth diaper kick I would use Her Bum's a Genius! as a post title eventually. You should have seen it coming. I've been waiting for just the right time, you know. And here it is. :)

I got fluffy mail today. Oh yeah, that's right. I am down with the cloth diapering lingy-loo. I thought if I threw that in there, you might be impressed enough not reach through your computer and smack me for talking about my cloth diapers... again. Did it work? (I'm ducking, just in case.)

Since I have gotten a bunch of emails and facebook messages and comments asking how we liked the new ones we tried, and since I have only replied to like three of those people... I am doing a follow-up this way instead. Stop reading if you're sick of hearing about it; I won't be offended. (You're in good company since Mark is one more cloth diaper question away from strangling me himself.)

So anyway, my fluffy mail. A big package of diapers, since we finally decided which kind to stock up on... the BumGenius 3.0! (That's the one-size/adjustable option for you dads and dads-to-be who are reading... and yes, doubters, there are dads and dads-to-be reading intently right now.) I know, I know. It's what everyone told me I would go with. But I feel better having tried a bunch of options and now I know this is the one I want.

The two additional kinds I added to my trial earlier this week didn't really pan out. The Bumkins was awfully cute... yet it was unfortunately awful but cute. It was huge. Way too big for Anneliese, though she fell right in the window of weights recommended for that size. It was at least 20% bigger than the BG one-size, which can accommodate way larger kids than the Bumkins. And the fabric (adorable though it may be) feels cheap and plasticky. Yeah, not a fan. But that pink and brown paisley is such a draw that I might be getting that as my second wet bag. I'm still deciding.

The Happy Heinys (comparable to the BG 3.0) were actually pretty good. They fit well, felt nice, and they're a little trimmer than the BGs. But the pocket doesn't close in the back, which I didn't like as much. Also the fleece pilled a little bit in the wash (on the first wash? come on now) and the velcro laundry tabs didn't work well so all the diapers stuck together in the machine. I mean, I know those are small things, but for the same price I just liked the BGs more, and the quality felt better.

And I also decided to use cloth wipes. I mean, I'm already doing poopy wash, right? Might as well. I just cut up a flannel receiving blanket into squares and put it where her wipes container used to be (you can see them in the picture above). I have a spray bottle with water (I added some baby wash and baby oil in there too) to get them wet before wiping, since my mom gave me some scientific explanation about ammonia on the skin and needing to use a wet wipe (I'll admit I didn't totally understand but she's really smart so I'm just going to believe her).

So anyway this is our stash now! We still have 4 more on the way (ordered from Target, since I had a gift card -- everything else came from Diaper Junction, where I did my trial -- some are new and some secondhand) so eventually I will have 15 in all. I'll have 12 one-size diapers and 3 all-in-ones (for those times when I need a more sitter-friendly option, or something that has a trimmer fit). Yes, I totally bought some blue diapers for Anneliese. They're pretty. I like them. And no, I will not be putting a bow on her head to compensate for the "boy" colors. :)

As you can see, we still have a few disposables on hand in case we need them (really it's just that the package was already opened). We might or might not, though, since our church recently began re-welcoming cloth diapers as part of a new environmental stewardship campaign, so I don't have to send the disposables to the nursery after all -- yay! That is, assuming she can ever go to the church nursery and stop screaming long enough to have her diaper changed. Which might or might not happen. But that is a lament for another day.

Happy fluffy bums to you all.

9 comments:

Kendra said...

Not that it's any of my business, nor should anyone care what I think, but this: "And no, I will not be putting a bow on her head to compensate for the "boy" colors. :)" made me happy. :)

Erin Halsey said...

I love that you did the trial and ended up doing what you knew you'd probably do anyway! I must just be too lazy (I'm going to account for it being I only get 8 weeks off and want to take full advantage of them!) but I'm going to just take your advice and go with mostly one-size BG, too. I'll add in a few AIO for the trimness too, since I just ordered 4 yesterday! Great post, even though I already knew most of it! :) Oh, and I got some blue ones too, just in case we get a boy sometime in the future!

Erin G said...

I love that we're all buying cutie blue diapers for our sweet baby girls. Actually Anneliese has a couple of blue dresses that will look very sweet with a pretty blue diaper. I have heard that pink diapers don't have as good of a resale value because people are more likely to put blue diapers on a girl than pink diapers on a boy. Huh.

Yeah I think if I had decided to cloth diaper before Anneliese was born, I would have skipped the trial too and just registered for diapers instead. The main reason I did the trial was that I didn't want to make the investment if I was going to end up hating it. But if you get them as gifts, and you decide it's not for you, you can still sell all the diapers and supplies and use that money towards disposables... so you still aren't really taking the financial risk. But I do like the BGs so I think you registered for a good one. :)

And just so you know, Target sells them in 2-packs online so if people get you target gift cards you can still use them to stock up (free shipping if you buy two 2-packs).

EMU said...

FYI: after awhile the laundry tabs on the BG don't work either. Ours have been shot for at least a month. This worries me that the Velcro is going to wear out at some point, especially since I have a friend whose BG diapers are starting not too work because the Velcro won't stay put (she's about 9 months into using them). Yikes. I know you can buy new tabs to sew on, but who wants to do that?

We have blue diapers for The Bop, too! And orange and green and yellow...and plenty of pink! The color choices were mostly a result of what the store had in stock the day I went to buy the CDs though. If we have a boy and if our pink diapers last that long, I'm sure he'll get to have a pink bum every now and then. I am married to a sociologist after all, who has all sorts of things to say about culture color choices for boys and girls! Hah!

Kelley C said...

EMU- I've heard BGs has a one year return policy for the velcro- you can send them back and they'll send you new ones. I haven't done it personally b/c most of ours were gifts so I don't have receipts or anything and our tabs won't stay on during wash but they still work for wearing even after a year. Try cottonbabies.com and ask about their return policy.

EMU said...

Kelley, I know about the one year return policy and am definitely keeping it in mind. At this point our diapers still work fine...just worried they won't last 2+ years. And unfortunately my friend got her diapers as gifts and doesn't have the receipts, so she can't return them.

SouthAsiaRocks said...

Awesome :) That's fun :) I love the new BG colors! We got ours when they only had pastels - so sad :) but still fun :) Fun post too :)

SouthAsiaRocks said...

We saw BG inside of our Target when we were in the states! It's cool you can get them there now ;)

I love A's pink diapers ;) We bought all the colors but pink... I would love to have them though! We bought them for Aashini, and had no idea if our next baby would be a girl or boy, so we went neutral :) I love putting blue on my girls :)

Emily said...

I like it when people try out all the others and go with what we chose (BGs). It makes me feel like we made the right choice even when we were not informed! :)
Yes the BGs after awhile get stuck together in the wash. However, it doesn't affect their velcro-ability. I've had some diapers for over 2 years now and they still work fine, although they are getting raggedy looking at the velcro. But we don't really care about that - 1, they are just diapers, and 2, something that costs $17 and is used several times a week and can still last over 2 years is a well made product.