Monday, April 30, 2012

The Mom Crush

So, I hope it isn't weird to tell the internet this, but I totally have mom crushes. Yes, that's crushes. Plural. On other moms.  Moms who are beautiful and together and classy but not in an showy way because that's just annoying and I can't tolerate it and just HA HA NO. Anyway in my dream world I want to be like these moms and maybe be besties with them. In a non-weird mom crush kind of way.

1.) Gretchen Rubin. I know it's a cliche to have a crush on the trendy mommy writer of the moment, but I totally do. She's smart, she's funny, and she's obsessed with happiness.  Shouldn't we all be a bit more obsessed with happiness?

2.) Michelle Duggar. Say what you will about their family's procreation choices, but Michelle Duggar is kind and patient and also she waterskis and jumps out of planes when her kids suggest it for fun. I find that awesome.  (Note: I do not have a crush on her hair.)

3.) Caroline F from church. She's a single mom who I know in real life (!) (oh the crushing!) who is a talented career woman. She's a lawyer! For justice! A classy mom, fighting for the good guys? Yes please. Also she is so beautiful I get a little fidgety around her and sometimes am too aware of what I should be doing with my hands and yes it sounds like a schoolgirl crush but she is that gorgeous. (Oh and I do have a crush on her hair. Maybe in an embarrassing way. My God she has good hair.)

4.) Claire Dunphy. Yes I know she's a fictional character; just go with it. She's neurotic and has fully embraced her own specific brand of Crazy. As has her family. How could I not have a crush on that?

5.) Kelley C from Furman. Proud to call her one of my best friends. Kelley is the blend of fun and firm that I aspire to be. Mad parenting skillz, y'all.

6.) Ree Drummond. Yes, I have a mom crush on the Pioneer Woman. PW. P-Dubs. (I can totally call her that.) She cooks beautiful food, and she takes lovely photographs that her family will always thank her for. Also her shameless admiring of her husband's behind is adorable. Oh and she's Presbyterian, so there's that.

7.) Another Nathan's mom. I've never met a mom who is better with her adult children, not ever. She's hands-off enough to let her kids be brave and independent enough to settle far from home, yet she's still engaged enough to be legitimately encouraging in their everyday lives. She's who I want to be when my kids grow up.

8.) Michelle Obama. Crushing on her arms (predictable) and her teeth and her brain and her Gap/Target fashion sense. Married to power yet anything but a bland trophy wife. Also she's a stickler for bedtime.  A mommy after my own heart.

9.) Heather Armstrong. Dooce is the funniest and most honest mom on the internet. Someday I will be brave enough to be a fraction of either of those things. Someday.

10.) Maria von Trapp, the Julie Andrews version (obvs). This should really go without saying. She's pretty, she's fighty, she's a good teacher, she's motivating, she's outdoorsy, she sews and crafts, she sings beautifully, and a sexy first kiss, well she can do it up right. And dammit she has confidence in sunshine! (Except she probably wouldn't say dammit.) If that's not the whole package, I don't know what is. Huge huge huge life-changing crush.

(This post totally inspired by something Anne Kimball wrote at the Scary Mommy soceity.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post. And - we are going to see The Sound of Music on Sunday (at the "big time" Augusta theatre, but still). I'm excited.

Kelley C said...

With the last few chaotic weeks, this is like water to my parched soul. Thank you for the encouragement. Love you! I want to see the India paintings in your house sometime.