Thursday, June 7, 2012

Know What's Great About This? Hospital Edition

Well we are home from the hospital. Whew.

After four days there, we still don't have a great answer about exactly why Charlotte got so sick, but what is clear is that her sensitive little tummy isn't ready for the volume or variety of foods she had been eating.  Since babies don't technically need solid foods til they're one or so, we are just going to stick with a mostly-milk diet for the next few months, and only offer solids for... well, for practice, basically.

I will keep breastfeeding (nature's perfect food! #shoutout) and we will give her lots of bottles of pumped milk (also from her milk sister Sally's mom, emu! #shoutout) fortified with formula powder.  Yup, it's Charlotte's very own Baby Bodybuilding Shake (patent pending).

It's been an emotionally exhausting stay in the hospital (aren't they all?) but instead of dwelling on the hard and ugly parts, we've kinda decided our new thing is going to be the "hey you know what's great about this?" approach to frustrating situations.  We've had to force it, but it's there.

Know what's great about being sick in the hospital? 

Lots of baby-sleep photo ops that mommy would normally miss. Oh and the half-gown, half-PJ look to keep warm and accomodate an IV? totally the newest trend in hospital wear.

Being in the hospital means having mommy all to myself.

Learning to do ultrasounds is kind of fun. Next time I do this, it might be to hear my first baby's heartbeat!

Get-well-soon faces from Daddy make me laugh.

Wheelchairs! This is how the hospital insists on transporting us anywhere. Which mommy says is ridiculous but I say is fun.

A hospital bed means brother and sister will climb up and make me smile.

Another Nathan surprised us by bringing Wednesday coffee date to us in the hospital! He made us laugh, worrying every time the IV pole beeped.

Hospital procedures are exhausting but when I finally fall asleep, boy does mommy have eyelash envy.

And coming home feels soooo good.

Thanks for all the encouraging words and messages, everyone.  We feel so loved.




9 comments:

EMU said...

I'm pretty sure this picture of all three G kids is my favorite picture of them ever! Who is most precious looking in it...C? A? N? I've been staring at it and can't decide.

Oh, and we went to the Panera at the mall today and Bop said, "Nathan's restaurant!" Yep, a year ago we came here with Nathan. :)

Molly said...

So glad she is recovering and starting to feel better! I've been thinking about y'all and sweet baby Charlotte all week.

Maarten said...

Good to learn that youre home again, hope Charlotte recovers soon

marmie said...

All those tests being negative is nice to know, but I sure would like a definitive answer. Charlotte's smiling through it is beautiful.

merritt said...

So glad to hear that you are home. And I'm glad that you made yourself remember some of the great things about these hard days. That's good for the soul. :)

AshGrice said...

So glad you're home! Aunt Ashley has eyelash envy, too. Give that Squeaky C a kiss from me. Love you!

AshGrice said...

Also, I love the ultrasound comment. Mostly because I hope it's DECADES until she has to have another one. But also, I love the idea of little squeaky C becoming a mommy someday. I hope both your little girls will someday know how wonderful it is to be a mommy. :)

Kendra Nielsen said...

Glad your baby is home. Is it possible she just has food allergies? Her symptoms remind me of stories I've read about babies with undiagnosed celiac disease.

Sending good thoughts!

Emily said...

You're so right - those LASHES! Wow. Glad she's home...and sorry y'all had to go through that. Hospital visits reallllly stress me out!