Nathan started in Tae Kwon Do today. Kind of random (for us) right? It's something brand new to Mark and me, since neither of us did anything martially-artsy (that's the technical term). And it's not that we had ever planned anything sports-specific for our kids, but I think we were picturing things like tennis and baseball (him) or swimming (me), not.. tae kwon do. But somehow this feels right for Nathan. It seems to be a lovely blend of athletic and social, without being overwhelmingly athletic and social.
We wanted him to do something active, a sport where he could work on confidence and coordination, and be around a new set of kids and grownups. He loves the gym stuff they do at preschool (nowadays it's called "movement" in case you were curious) and several people have suggested tae kwon do could be a good fit for him. So we're trying it.
He'll do classes twice a week for the next month. His age group's class is called the Little Tigers. Nathan was the only new one yesterday. And the only nervous one.
And yes, it really was this adorable.
I die of the cute.
He might have started off timidly (it's his way, after all), but it took him no time to plaster a silly smile on his face that stayed the whole time. HE LOVED IT. I don't know enough about Tae Kwon Do to really say what was going on, but I know how happy it made me to watch Nathan so clearly loving something new. Who is this child???
And even though Mark and I know nothing about this, and never pictured it, we're glad to learn as he goes, and let him do something that's all his, for however long it lasts.
I'm proud of him and excited for him.

3 comments:
It's a great sport! And much more physical than you might imagine--not like contact sports, but he will get lots of exercise as he develops his TKD skills. So cute!
John and I decided it's perfect for him - a sport laden with rules and order and structure and patterns to make our sweet Nathan happy. :)
This might be the cutest picture ever taken in all of history, EVER.
Grandma's heart is melting. I agree. I believe it's a great sport for our little man.
Post a Comment