Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why We Need Daddy

Day two juggling three kids by myself... not quite as smooth as day one.  After yesterday, I was feeling very mommy confident so I attempted some errands this morning. Um, bad idea.

I'll spare you the gruesome details, but the end result was Anneliese crying on a store floor next to a broken ottoman, while Nathan was in distress because I was spraying (yes, spraying) Charlotte with breastmilk in my panicked inability to keep her latched on correctly while also tending to Anneliese. Ever seen four people crying simultaneously in a very public place?  Today, we were That Family.

We ate some lunch, got it (mostly) together, and it only took a few tearful attempts to get everyone to sleep.  But Charlotte will be up soon, and I'm exhausted, and I'm so missing this:

Mark has been a rock star over the last month. Soothing Charlotte when my attempts failed.  Calming big-sister tantrums. Lots of midnight diaper changes (and midday ones too). Providing extra hands and diversions and attention anywhere needed. I got used to having him around all day and all night, every day and every night.  And with mornings like the one I just had, I really want him back.

Someone please remind me that I'll get used to this, and that most days won't feel this eventful.  A "new normal" is coming... soon... right?

6 comments:

EMU said...

A new normal is coming! It WILL get easier!

Plus, you need days like this to remind you how much you NEED and LOVE your hubby! It takes two! :)

Dad said...

I promise...it will get better. EMU is right, there will be a new normal, and it will happen soon out of necessity.

Kelley C said...

Aw you'll hit your stride soon! You are always so ambitious! It won't be long before you can't remember going out with just two- and when you do get to go out with just two it will seem so EASY! I can't wait to meet baby C. Don't let her get too big.

amandajv said...

I am sorry you had such a hard day! I hope your new normal gets here soon!

Neil said...

Some days are like that, even in Australia. Aren't you glad you "don't work"?

marmie said...

SO TRUE, Neil.........I have gone to med school with three kids, then residency and medical practice with three kids, yet THE HARDEST job EVER for me was home full time with three small children!! It is WORK!! In hindsight, it was the most rewarding work I have had, but some days at the time that reward escaped me!
Erin, a defense mechanism that sometimes works is to be amused and chuckle at the chaos....it can make for funny stories in the future. You have my empathy!