Friday, August 5, 2011

A Year Ago, A Different Life

I'm feeling weirdly nostalgic today.  My babies, both canine and human, are in Huntersville for the week ten days.  That's longer than I've ever been away from Nathan or Anneliese!  It's nice to have some quiet and stillness here at home, but it might be a little too peaceful right now.

Mark and I keep looking at each other and we don't know what to do with ourselves.  I mean, we have no real plans.  (Obviously.  Baby due any minute.)  (Well, except that pesky hospital bag which still isn't packing itself.)

A year ago today, we were cruising through the Bahamas.  The idea of a third baby had been shelved; there was no Sprout and no plan for her.  There was no robbery or flood or feeling detached from our home.  There was no new house or renovation. 

So last night when we were driving home alone from our dinner date, in our minivan, to a still-feels-kinda-new house where no children or pups were waiting to greet us, with plans to maybe jump in our pool later.... yeah.  I couldn't shake this feeling of who are we??  where are we? and how did we get here??

I'm so excited for Sprout -- to meet her and hold her and bring her home to this house, which I think will help solidify it as home and special.  And don't get me wrong, I like our minivan (more than I want to admit) and I love a weekend with just Marky.  But wow it's hard not to feel like an awful lot has changed, awfully fast. 

It's weird, a little bit.

But I'm going to stop thinking about the weirdness, embrace the changes (they're exciting! and for the better! all of them!) and really enjoy whatever days of downtime I have before I go into labor.  Today I slept well past 10am, and my current to-do list includes internetting, fun shopping with Mark, sitting around reading the last of the Hunger Games books, a movie, and maybe a pedicure. 

Yeah.  Life's tough when your baby is late.

1 comment:

EMU said...

You know, I was feeling a little nostalgic for you the other day too, remembering how much you wanted this 3rd baby, but thinking it wasn't going to happen. So fun to see what God had in store for you less than a year later!