She's a delightful little frog wearing a delightful little pink gingham dress who came into our lives in October, from my Aunt Debbie, as a gift for Anneliese's first birthday.
I was taken with her from the start (cute, quiet, lightweight non-licensed character? win) and I'm sure that my own Hattie-snuggling encouragement has played some part in this, but....
oh man.
Anneliese is hella attached to this thing now.
Nathan has spurted in and out of toys he's attached to, some longer than others, but almost always replaceable by something new or cool or just distracting. He has never loved a toy the way Anneliese loves Hattie.
(I think the attachment is breeding more attachment. Hattie is almost always a surefire way to soothe tears, so we use her. And then she's out of the crib. And involved in all the playtime. And then... even more attached. Even more likely to soothe tears next time. And so the cycle continues.)
(I'm sure this is a totally normal thing for toddlers, but because we didn't really go through it with Nathan, it feels like brand-new parenting territory for us. How attached do we let her get? Under what circumstances does Hattie leave the crib? The house? (Right now, it's only if Anneliese needs to sleep somewhere else, like an overnight trip or naptime at the new house.) Do we need to buy a backup Hattie? How does this whole lovey thing work?)
Hattie comes with us most days to the new house to snuggle during naptime. And then gets dragged around on the floors afterwards. And did we mention the new house is
...So Hattie had to have a bath. In the washing machine. While both Nathan and Anneliese hovered around on the laundry room floor (Nathan's favorite t-shirt was in the same oxy-soaking load, recovering from a paint smudge). It was an amusing juxtaposition of sweet and sad. (Everyone survived the night with minimal tears, in case you're wondering.)
Yesterday Anneliese spent at least half an hour (that's eternity in toddler time) trying to buckle Hattie into the spare car seat at the new house. I like that she's maternal and, well... girly in a way. It's like her first doll. :)
So for anyone who likes Anneliese, I hope you like slobber-covered paint-stained well-loved girl frogs too. Because Hattie is here to stay.




6 comments:
I love Annelise. And I love that Hattie is a filthy dirty frog. It is so left-handed middle-child DESTINY. I want to squeeze her and sweet Hattie!
Another coincidence (is anything coincidence? is EVERYTHING coincidence?)... Aunt Debbie also gave me Tigger, who was MY filthy, dirty, patched-up soothing stuffed animal. She knows how to pick 'em!
*Anneliese
At least it's not a pacifier that you'll have to ween her from. It's totally harmless and seriously cute. Hattie will go to college with her. Just watch.
Also, have you tried stealing Hattie during the night to wash her? My mom used to have to do that with Patrick's favorite ninja turtles shirt. She couldn't get him to wear anything else for like 4 days so she had to stip him during the night and then would clean it and put it back on him while he slept. The lengths we go for our kids. :)
Katie's dolls go with us everywhere, but they have to stay in the car. She's never allowed to take them inside of other places.
Again, very cute.
It's sweet. And yes, you should totally get a backup. I've been eying Finn's rhino on ebay lately thinking I should do the same thing.
I think I agree with Merritt... a back-up is not a bad idea. She is still SO young and the attachment is normal, and as Jenny said, probably better than a pacifier. When she gets older you can start to have rules about where you take Hattie, but for now it doesn't seem like a fight worth fighting. Although, your dropsies story proves that she will get it when you make boundaries about Hattie. Love it. Will you buy me a Hattie one day???
So cute. I'm so glad she likes her. :)
ust wanted you to know that she's not the only one attached to a stuffed friend. Meredith LOVED her Humpty that Aunt Vada made for her when she was a baby. In fact, she wore out the original one, so I got the pattern and made her another one, which she proceeded to wear out as well. I have the remnants saved in her baby box. She carried Humpty everywhere....to sleep, in the car, to preschool (he sat in her cubby during class when she wasn't dragging him around), to the grocery (one time she accidentally left him in the cart and we had to go back and get him). Eventually she got tired of him (or he was too ratty and I wouldn't make another one), and he sat in the stuffed animal basket with the others until I put him away.
She got it honest, as I was so attached to my teddy bear (which I had gradually pulled out all of his fuzz when I was little....and apparently stuck it up my nose during naptime), that I slept with him until I was 15!!! My parents said I couldn't date until I quit sleeping with Teddy, so off to the cedar chest in Grandma's room he went. He's still in my cedar chest today. And if I weren't so old, didn't have Robert, and Teddy didn't smell like moth balls, I could seriously see me cuddling with him in the bed to this day!!
BTW, your father threatened to throw him in the ocean one time when we were at the beach....I was totally traumatized! And another vacation when Grandma and Grandpa Brewer went with us to Virginia, DC, Delaware, Maryland to visit some of the other Brewer uncles/aunts/cousins, my parents said there wasn't room in the car for Teddy since there were six people already. Again, I was traumatized. My cousin, Chris, let me sleep with his Yogi Bear when we were in Maryland visiting them.
So maybe it's genetic that Anneliese loves her frog.
Post a Comment